It is situated on the eastern side of Madurai Periyar Bus Stand , near the Easten gate of Immayil Nanmai Tharuvar Koil. This is considered as a renounced worshipping place of Vaishnavites. This temple was built in 16th century A.D. The presiding deity is called Sri Madana Gopala Swamy and the goddess is Mother Madurarathi. There is a Sannidhi for Sri Aandaal aslo. Sannidhis and the Sanctum Sancorums are built fully with stones. The Maha Mandapam is seen in front of the Sannidhi. Beautiful sculptures depicting Ramayana scenes are seen on both northern and southern sides of this Mandapam .
Mr. Adelian Peppergibson who visited Madurai came to this temple in 1912. The dilapidated stone pillars were taken by him to his country and built a Mandapam in 1938 in the museum of Philadelfia. The pillar Mandapam at the museum of Philadelfia city has been built up of the pillars taken from this Madana Gopala Swamy temple.